Thursday, April 23, 2009

Another one bites the dust....

As I assume most of you have heard, it looks like Oracle is buying Sun.  This leaves one wondering what is going to happen to various Sun projects.  I have some pretty strong suspicions about what will happen to Netbeans, at least.  To quote Oracle's web page...

"Eclipse is one of several open source communities (Apache, PHP, and Glassfish are other examples) in which Oracle invests significant development resources. A Strategic Developer and Board Member of the Eclipse Foundation, Oracle is a leading participant in the Eclipse Web Tools Platform and Technology projects."

Ofcourse, they wouldn't have fared any better being bought by IBM so I suppose the NB guys must've felt the axe falling for a bit.  While they have my sympathies, I actually think this is the right thing to do.  Sun held onto the NB flag for way too long after it was clear it was an also ran.  If I were Larry I'd take the two really outstanding parts of NB-- Matisse and the Profiler, and re-tool them as Eclispe plugins.  In the long run they could be huge successes that way, more so then when they were part of Netbeans.

No comments: