Wednesday, October 31, 2012

GW2 Update

Well, I hit level 70 last night.  It was my goal to hit before hurricane Sandy cut power on us (which ended up happening only for about a minute.)

Within 10 levels of end-game, I have to say, I'm enjoying GW2 a lot.  It has broken a few of my prejudices/experiences of the past.

Whereas most pay-to-play MMORPGs have really had a sudden drop in average user base maturity and intelligence when they go F2P I am actually finding a stronger game community in general and Roleplay community in specific in GW2.  GW2 is not without its bozos, but as in any other MMROPG liberal use of /ignore pretty much fixes that issue.  (They really Do need to add an option to have /ignore also block emotes and emote animations however as I've already seen examples of emote greifing. )

The game is interesting in that it has both casual and hardcore elements.  Many (though not all) of the story encounters are almost effortlessly beatable, particularly at the later levels.  The dungeon crawls however are all very tough and require teamwork and persistence.  The "world quests" are really well thought through and developed and may be some of the most fun parts of the game.

The barbieing support is probably the most limited part of the game right now, but maybe that will be filled out in the later expansions.

All in all, im having as much fun as I have in any pay-to-play MMORPG.  That may or may not be a good thing, but I already covered that concern  in my last blog.


No comments: