Monday, April 4, 2011

I'm Changing my name to General Electric

Back in the 80s, after Chrysler got a huge government hand out to help it stay in business, Tom Paxton wrote the song "I'm changing my name to Chrysler..."

Well, think you are taxxed too much? Then change your name to General Electric.

The marching myth of the neo-right right now is "we need to reduce taxes to encourage employment."

That would be a good trick, since GE who had a $14B year in 2010 paid NO corporate income tax.
http://money.cnn.com/2010/04/16/news/companies/ge_7000_tax_returns/

Exactly how much lower the $0 is necessary to work this miracle?

Maybe if we actually started taxing our richest individuals and corporations, we wouldn't be so "broke" after all...

1 comment:

Keshlam said...

Remember Tom Paxton's song?

I am changing my name to Chrysler
And I'm heading down to Washington DC
I will tell those power brokers
What they did for Iacocca
Would be perfectly acceptable to me
Yes, I'm changing my name to Chrysler
And I'm heading for that great receiving line
When they hand a million grand out
I'll be standing with my hand out
Yes, sir, I'll get mine!